Thursday, September 6, 2012

Admonishment On A Birthday Morning


I do not know the origins of celebration of birthdays. Perhaps it came about from Man’s acknowledgement of what he considers special and precious-“life”. When after one is gone, birthdays become observation of birthdays and no more an occasion to celebrate. That may last until one’s near ones are alive. Then “pooh”, all become star dust and vanish without a trace.

It was fun and glowing in warm attention during the birthdays each year when one was little. There was a sense of importance, a satisfaction of being acknowledged and given a pedestal , gifts  being thrust in the hands, kisses planted! 

I did not approve of a luncheon get together of sorts on my fiftieth birthday a few years ago. It was the persistent disobedience of my sister and wife that saw me blow candles, slice a cake, photographs taken and with a few close friends asked to join.

Come again, today- another birthday and I was pleasantly surprised by a text message from my daughter, Radhika. My son spoke to me early this morning and as true to his self he was reticent and matter of fact with his birthday greeting. I often feel that in that sense he is more of a photocopy I managed to create!

The girl was unambiguous and displayed in her text message an admonishing tone.in fact it is good , I guess that children have the courage to chastise and gently rebuke the parent. I wonder if I would ever have dared to dream doing that when I was her age .It is good thing that she may have done some thinking and decided that I was in the wrong. But the law of Nature or the law of probability is that eight out of ten the father is in the wrong! 

“The Child is father of the Man”, the Wadsworth ode has much substance, though he sang that reveling in the beauty of the rainbow and Nature.

This was what she messaged.
“Achaaaaa!!!!” (Meaning father). Happy Birthday! I hope u make a resolution this year to stop fighting. Losing your temper is no good. Take life as it comes. Even if it is crap that life gives you, take it without fretting. Every end will be a happy one. Happiness is on its way. You just have to be a happy person to feel it and get it."
 "So … A promise you have to make is, NOT to fight with Amma. And not to lose your temper. Be happy. If you do not, I will be like so.......








So keep it. Have a great day “achaaa….” Love U! Ummaaaaa!"

19 comments:

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

May you live up to your daughter’s expectations :)Quite nice a turn, isn't it? Here’s wishing you many more years of joyous wisdom!

Makk said...

:)


NRIGirl said...

Wishing you a very happy birthday and many happy returns Anil!

Here's also wishing Ms.R's wishes for you to come true!


Insignia said...

Women exist to bring men to the right terms! :P

That was a cute and thoughtful birthday message. Belated birthday wishes Anil. I wouldnt ask you how old did you turn? :)

Musings said...

Dear Arun,
Ha , Thank you for the wishes. When one is little, growing up is according to the wishes of the parents and when one has grown and past one's prime one has to grow still, now according to the wishes of the children.When will we grow according to our likes?


@ Makk

!!

@ NRIGirl,
Thank you. Yes what are the other options?


@ Insignia,


B, really, is that the brief given to women by the guy up in the skies?
Yes , I liked her message . And thank you B, for the wishes. Now that I have no plans to get into the movies as a young romancing hero, let me tell you how old I'm. I'm 53 and going.

KParthasarathi said...

Though belated my good wishes on your birthday is no less warmer than others.Many happy returns of the day.

KParthasarathi said...

Though belated my good wishes on your birthday is no less warmer than others.Many happy returns of the day.

BK Chowla, said...

My best wishes

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Well your daughter obviously keeps you in check.

I couldn't agree more with your reply to Arun.

sujata sengupta said...

A very Happy Birthday to you!! There is nobody who will wish you well like your children :)

anilkurup59 said...

@ KParthasarathi,

Thank you.

@ B.K.Chowla,
Thank you Sir.
@ petty Witter.,
Thanks. yes .

@ Sujata
,Thank you. In the present day world, it is always better to expect nothing back from m any , be it the children or spouse;. .
But then one cannot say people have changed. As Billy Joel Sang, "the fire has been burning since the beginning, since the world has been turning and we didn't start the fire"

We must consider us immensely lucky if children are with us.

Happy Kitten said...

Belated birthday wishes Anil.. though late, let me wish you the very best to you in the coming years. Having lived half a century in this world is a feat indeed!

Your daughter's message is sweet.. loving admonishment from a wise daughter.. take it and let life be more lighter and sweeter..

As for losing temper, guess it happens mostly with wives! the birthright of most husbands? But try and hold you temper and see the result.. even otherwise losing it is not going to bring much change.. or has 50 years of losing it changed anything? :)

Rama Ananth said...

Certainly a very matured and sweet wish from your daughter, after a point one has to change and be happy being the changed person. You must feel so proud of her.
Wishing you the very best in life!
And you better listen to her sane advise.

bliss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anilkurup59 said...

@ Happy Kitten,

Thanks A, for the wishes and joining with the sane advise.
Losing temper is not birth right, but an offshoot of one's helplessness or call it frustration over a certain event or matter .
Conceding at the same time its wastefulness and adverse impact.
But honestly I'm no perfect.
By the way the bickering that result is only a common thing that is also seen among most couples. For goodness sake do not make a demon out of me . Ha !!!


@ rama,

Thank you, and I hope that your good wishes stays well for me.
Yes she read the post and comments and sent me a boastful message, that she is my messiah ha!

Meera Sundararajan said...

Belated wishes Anil on your birthday. May you have many more! It must be very lonely to be away from family on this special day. I experienced that this year while I was in Kampala ( I had lost my baggage too to add to that feeling). But birthdays are special! It is a feeling of being loved and acknowledged by our near and dear ones!

Shilpa Garg said...

Belated birthday wishes, Anil and may your daughter's wishes come true! :)

anilkurup59 said...

@ MeeraSundarajan,
Thank you. Well it is a lonely world!

@ Shilpa Garg

Thank you. Hope so too.

anilkurup59 said...

@ MeeraSundarajan,
Thank you. Well it is a lonely world!

@ Shilpa Garg

Thank you. Hope so too.