Monday, June 11, 2012

Reflections on a Sunday



 
.
Often I question myself if I would follow the dotted line and the high plateau of correctness in thought, words and deed that I sometimes seem to shamelessly profess. Dishonestly, yes I do! And well, if so what alibi and excuse would I base my stand? I guess, a silent owning up of my infallibility and not so strong power of will of the mind. What in fact is sheepishly comforting is that there are many Jones next doors who would be my companions.

If someone ask me what is the quality that one must not have. I would say “self-pity”. And it is that one loses self-respect when one succumbs to its wiles. One is self-deluding when one cohabits with “self-pity”. And when I hear people condescending about self, honestly it nauseates and is repulsive. I guess I score here and often at my peril and distress. But there is pleasure to gain in the end that I have not sold out weakened. Or is it my ego?

Are we all conceited? I guess we are in our own ways. And the vain vanity that we have, we allege on even God as well. What else would explain the constant praise we shower on a Deity? The lauding we extend to a politician and his vulgar appetite for such lauding and adulation? But should I categories pleasure of recognition in the same genre? Yes, but is it not a part of us that is gored out when recognition does not come about?

Once, I happened to be in the office of a very wealthy business man from Kerala. He has a chain of ‘financial operations’ all over the country and virtually had hit the rainbow. I accompanied an acquaintance who was his chum and I was timidly seated in the fore room while he went in to meet his friend in the ante room. I saw , a host of books like The Bible, The Koran , The Gita and  some writings of mystics and spiritualists, that were laid out on the side table next to me .It, in fact gave me affair idea of the person cocooned inside!  And later day information about him proved me right. That was a vain way to impress upon the world his areas of interest which was not. 



A profoundly distressing situation it is when you are  loaned something by another, especially a friend (exceptions to the rule do exist, mercifully).A couple of years ago, during the turmoil I went through, I was short of a decent sum in funds. Budget and plan clearly determined that some capital had to be brought in for a short term to smoothen the cash/fund flow. Since the figure that was required was not quite a wee little and the delicacy of discussing the matter with a few friends who had the wherewithal saw me vacillate for a dangerously long while. Finally, I zeroed in on a friend, gathered myself and placed the overseas call. I disconnected impishly after a few rings, I was ashamed and too flummoxed. I did that exercise a few times and felt weak. A little later he called back and I did not answer the call. I was too timorous and infirm. He text-ed a message and it was apparently in consternation. ”Hey A, what is it? I saw a few calls from you, is everything OK? Call back, I feel unease.” That, in a way, smoothed my nerves and I placed the call again. When he picked up the call, I stammered that things were ok and I wanted to only ask him, if it was possible to loan me some money for a three month period. He asked me the amount and when I told him, he was not a wee bit hesitant, but in fact he was affirmative straight away and asked me to email him my bank id. He only told me that since he had no fund holding in India, he would appreciate if I can wire him back the same amount in USD when I decide to return the money. He in fact sounded concerned that I was in a kind of distress. Do I have to further describe the sigh I heaved?

Well, as matters began to tumble, things got worse in the succeeding days and all planned funds that were expected were stonewalled. My three month promise went by and naturally he began to feel exasperated and some of his emails and phone calls suggested between sentences that he was being prompted. I was quite upset and cautious at the same time that a friendship from toddler days should not be led into ruins. I was in fact stunned by the severity of his messages and his total lack of understanding (or was it disregard) of my impossible plight and predicament. I tried to think in his shoes. Well it is a delicate matter this relationship entwined with money!

Mercifully, the manna came from a source that I almost wrote off as bad and irrecoverable. When I wired him the funds, it was probably the only time I may have wanted to pray to some figure up in the skies.





13 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Great post, what a wonderful insight you have.

NRIGirl said...

I was smiling at your last line as I had wondered once what would make you acknowledge God ever so slightly... :)

anilkurup59 said...

@ Petty Witter,

Thanks for the comment.

@ NRIGirl,

You know that was a metaphor- a figure of speech. Nothing more , nothing less.

Rama Ananth said...

Yes money and friendship never go together.

Insignia said...

That delicate balance. It should have been so painful for you to be reading his msgs; I wonder what would be going thorough him. It may have been fear of losing his money;lack of distrust not in your friendship but time may be.

I am being positive; hope you guys share the friendship the same as ever

Rama Ananth said...

I had posted a comment few days back, probably due to some reason you did not get it.
Any way, i am glad you could return the borrowed money. Maybe he would have understood your problem and would not have hinted that he needed his money back, if you had explained you problem to him, for he was good enough to lend you the money in the first place.
I am sure it was just the lack of proper communication between you two.
I hope things are well again between you and your dear friend.
If he is reading your blogs, he would see how you are feeling even now so long after the incident.

M'Bai Madrasi said...

I read this Twice...I have always loved the way words flow in your post..
at the end, Its an heavy heart after reading this :)

Musings said...

@ Insignia,

B, I guess in some cases the impetuosity that stalked while I was in my teens and youth have vanished to a good extent, hence there was much patience and decorum in my words, and letters while communicating with him. In fact he was down in Kerala in December last and we went out for dinner (both families) and I do often email and call him in the USA, so does he. The shadow of the experience is very much around, but wisdom prevails. Sometimes situations bring out the forgettable sides of our character. I see that as an unfortunate experience that befell while in bad times.


@ rama,

Yes I agree and see the brighter side here .

@ The Madrasi,

Thanks . I appreciate your comments.

Balachandran V said...

Having had privy to all this as a close friend of yours, I am unable to comment... You were driven to such a narrow corner that you had to ask his help.

Who said - " I treat my friends the way I treat my books; I have them near me but I seldom use them" - or to that effect? In my post, Confessions of a mean mind', I had narrated a similar situation with a friend; the relationship survives, yet the scar remains...

anilkurup59 said...

@ Balan,

Haunting days!

It is a tight rope walk these relationships. And it is easy to jettison a spoiled relationship with a relative than with a friend.

Betty Manousos said...

i am glad you could return the borrowed money.

what am amazing insight you have!
loved your post:)

anilkurup59 said...

@ Betty Manousos

Thanks for the comments. Well just pieces of thoughts.

Happy Kitten said...

The last line is amusing!

Borrow / lend money and lose a frnd.. hope u did not lose this frnd...